Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Some reflections on the bombings in London

It seems like there is no good way to describe a terrorist attack. We seem to self-consciously fail to find the appropriate words. We talk about the date it happened and make vague references to "events" or "attacks". This was the case with New York, and I find myself following similar conventions when I struggle to find the phrase I want, when I want to speak of the bombings in London. I can't quite put my finger on why people are so reluctant to refer directly to what happened. It was a bombing, so let's call it a bombing - however scary that word is.

The difficulty of finding appropriate words was put into particular focus as I tried to go about doing my job - which is essentially finding the right words to describe violence in Irish history. I became acutely aware in the wake of the bombings of the great impact that words have. Every day I talk about the violent reactions that Irish men and women made to the injustices our nation suffered under successive British Administrations over a considerable breadth of time, and while it is in a reasonably distant past, it still has a legacy which is connected with terrorist activity. Activity that I have been exposed to many times in my life in various ways.

I suppose the most disturbing exposure I got to the 'troubles' was when I was in a bomb scare in the London underground in 1992 as a twelve year old boy. I was separated from my father in the crush. It was utterly terrifying. I threw-up my dinner later that night and bizarrely I suppressed the memories of the scare so that I didn't think or talk of it at all until a couple of years later when my Dad reminded me of that day and it all came flooding back.

At times some tourists to the prison where I work think that what I am giving them is the IRA 'line' when it is far closer to the truth to say that I am merely giving them the history of prison and the only reason that this isn't quite the truth either is that I am well aware that there are significant gaps in my reading on Irish history. But hey, cut me a little slack here - there is a bloody lot of it!

I talk about the pre-cilil-war revolutionaries of my nation with pride and admiration. Many of them gave their lives clear-sightedly to change the course of history and I am well aware that their acts of violence ultimately partially produced its desired outcome. I think I would also say that they were not only fair and just, but necessary. Irish people suffered terribly under British administration. Today I passed by the statutes of James Connolly and Robert Emmet, in the course of my day and I saluted them both and thanked them both under my breath for what they did and what they stood and died for. The bombing of London reminded me of the bombing in London that was carried out by the IRA who would also look to these figures with similar admiration, but I think I can say with confidence that these two Irish revolutionaries (my favourite two) would never have advocated taking the conflict from Irish soil and bringing it Britain in the way that the IRA did in the 1980s and 1990s

That said, it seems obvious enough that the bombing of the Baltic Exchange in London's Finacial District (to mention the most significant one), was a major catalyst to the British Government making a concerted effort on the peace process where countless bombs and acts of violence in Belfast left them largely unmoved and politically uninspired.

Of course I would never condone a terrorist attack for any reason and I would only condone violence in the most compelling circumstances, but I do find it difficult not to check myself for hypocracy when I am outraged by terrorist attacks while it is my job to honour and commemorate the men and women who are a clear link to the acts of terrorism that have occurred in recent times. Taking a broad view though, it is difficult to come up with any real moral position. The Unionists and the British hardly have clean hands.

But to return to the new terrorists in London. They are called extremists and evil. They bombed London to make their voice heard. What I find disturbing is that after the bombings, after the destruction of the world trade centre in 2001, I still can't hear their voices. This is considerably different to the IRA bombings. What are they saying, what is their agenda, and what exactly do they want? And why are western governments not asking these questions?

It seems highly hypocritical to me to speak of the 'war on terror'. We don't want wars and violence begets violence. Eagerness to go to war in the past is most likely one of the main causes of the phenomenon of terrorism. What we need, to state the obvious, is an end to violence - but we don't know how to achieve this. Clamping down on the free-movement of individuals; holding people in constant suspiscion, and over-spending on security measures seem to us like a far more achievable 'solution'. We need a little creativity.

2 Comments:

At 9:17 PM, Blogger Buckley said...

My apologies: Everybody's comments got deleted when I was putting up the new post and ran into problems with blogger.

They read as follows:

Tony:
Aren't you forgetting the Fenian attacks on Manchester in 1848? The republican movement were just as eager to kill and maim the innocent in the 19th century as they were in the 20th. It is estimated that over 30,000 people died in the 1798 rebellion on all sides. Robert Emmet was a fop, and his rebellion, a disaster a blip of a riot in the Liberties. But I agree, when you take the starting point of Irish History as a the Gaol you are going to end up emphasising much less the actions of the constitutionalists. The speakers, the peaceful marches and the campaigns that led step by step to Independence. That is why the Gaol, whether it be Kilmainham or Longkesh is such an important symbol to republicans. Because it shovels out stories that show them as the focus of liberation. Not the masses of ordinary folk that actually acheived it.
Regarding the terrible bombings in London. I too am left confused as to what these groups want to acheive. Arab Unity? An ended to the Israeli state? Or Ourselves Alone?

Sass:
I am too tired to say anything particularly coherent, but what I know I can say is that I found it terribly facinating to read your perspective. It is times like these that I am reminded what a great writer you are, James. Thank you for having this blog to keep me company.
-an unusually sappy Sass

Anonymous:
Well, the "voice of the terrorists" tends to say things like "The heroic mujahideen have carried out a blessed raid in London. Britain is now burning with fear, terror and panic in its northern, southern, eastern, and western quarters...We continue to warn the governments of Denmark and Italy and all the Crusader governments that they will be punished in the same way if they do not withdraw their troops from Iraq and Afghanistan. He who warns is excused."

A similar motivation/excuse was floated regarding the Madrid bombings.

And if anyone thinks that "the Secret Organisation Group of al-Qaida of Jihad Organisation in Europe" is a pretty mangled name for an organisation, there's some fun commentary here (it's just as odd in Arabic, apparently).

Jen:
I would only condone violence in the most compelling circumstances"

Now there's an ambiguous statement if ever I read one and one that I think you have glossed over a little too quickly Buckley! what exactly do you consider to be compelling circumstances? because finding it difficult to condemn the violence that was perpetrated by Irish 'freedom fighters' of yore but 'of course' never condoning 'a terrorist attack for any reason' does seem a wee bit hypocritical to me. I agree that it is difficult to take a moral position on violence/non-violence, just-war etc. but sometimes it is necessary. Also, in relation to your comment that the British and Unionists don't have clean hands - no one in this situation has clean hands and just because this is so, doen't mean we should not question our own history or be self-refelctive. Next time you feel that you should check yourself for hypocricy, go with it and explore exactly why you're feeling that way.

p.s. please don't take offence to this in any way - I'm really glad you wrote this blog and I think it's really important that people explore their approach to violence and the current international political situation.

 
At 9:42 PM, Blogger Buckley said...

So I suppose a response is in order.

Tony, I actually disagree with your historical analysis, though I think philosophically we may well be on the same page.
So far as I am aware the events in Manchester that you refer to were actually not directed at anything beyond breaking an Fenian out of prison and a general consensus was that the one police officer who died in the escape was killed accidentally. I would outrightly reject your assertion that The republican movement were just as eager to kill and maim the innocent in the 19th century as they were in the 20th. The 1798 rebellion was one in which a poorly armed Irish force went against what they knew were a far superior British one: hardly the acts of a people intent on killing and maiming - unless you are suggesting they were intent on killing themselves. Your analysis of Robert Emmet's rebellion, I would say is apt, but I think it's telling to note the event that seemed to have precipitated his calling the rebellion off: The assisination of Lord Kilwarden. He did not agree with indescriminate or ill-disciplined violence. The only other thing I would like to mention is that Charles ("The uncrowned King of Ireland") Stewart Parnell was also a prisoner in Kilmainham Gaol for his constitutional activity as were many Irish MPs in the 1880s, and he is spoken of in every tour I do.

To suggest that it was 'ordinary folk' who achieved independence both underestimates the impact of armed rebellion both on Britain's attitude to the Irish question and the impact they had on shaping the opinions of 'ordinary folk.' It also suggests that there was something extraordinary about the people contributing to armed rebellion - to me they were as normal as anyone else.

I appreciate both your comments and the general thrust of them as well - I would just sugget that they are more appropriate to the more modern forms of Irish Republicanism which is an area I actually know very little about and don't have any solid opinions on.

Sass, Thank you.

Anonymous, you never cease to inform and entertain.

Jen, you're really bringin it aren't ya? I'm not at all insulted honestly. You make a great point and I think you have it on exactly what it was I was trying to articulate.

I'm afraid I am going to continue to be ambiguous but all I would say in clarification is that I would never condone a terrorist attack as it is such a cynical and contemptible act of violence when it is directed at innocent people. The reason I cannot say that violence does not have a place in the world is that we have not yet irradicated all the circumstances in which we cannot in good conscience be outraged when a person who lives by the sword also dies by it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home